Friday, June 27, 2008

Sphairistike Anyone?!


The beauty of tennis has nothing to do with being ranked. The game itself is accessible to most anyone who wants to play. Right now the Wimbledon championship is full swing in its modern continuation of a game once called Sphairistike in 1877. Lawn tennis is not a difficult game to enjoy (at least it's not as hard as pronouncing Sphairistike I hope), good call on that name change guys.

http://aeltc.wimbledon.org/en_GB/about/history/history.html


My own experience with lawn tennis is pretty limited. I've only attempted the grass court a handful of times and wouldn't know where to find one locally. One interesting side court note, if you will is that my husband once worked with a tennis court installer in my hometown. They tore out that very court I played on as a child and put it into the front lawn of his home some 25 years later, but still a wild coincidence. The hard court surface has been where I spent many years cultivating a sport. When I couldn't get to the court there was a wall sans windows across the street which took quite a beating.
"What brings this on?" you might ask if you aren't playing tennis. A combination of watching what has to be my favorite of the big tournaments on television this week.
Ana Ivanovic came off of a big win at the French Open with a number one world wide ranking, don't even get me started about clay surface play, only to be defeated today by China's Zheng Jie who was ranked 133 before this game. Although I don't think anyone is surprised. After Zheng took the first set at 6-1 it became obvious that you are only as good as your latest match rankings be damned. There is no room for a bad day in a tournament of this caliber and they all have reason to chin up. The hours of expertise cultivated to prepare for Wimbledon indicate that we are watching the best in the world.
As for the rest of us. If you live in a town with a wall or public court there is no good reason not to grab a racket the appropriate balls, and a partner. Our town has a tennis club who meet each weekend. I left them alone last year, but they wont get out of playing me this year. See you Saturday Sunset Park players. Lucky for you I've yet to warm up this year, trust me we'll all be better off with my hope to "take it easy". As I remember it takes some time for my mind to recognize what my body is able to do.

The picture above is my latest racket, you may call him 'Wilson'. If you see him on the court consider yourself in love.